Remote Learning Opportunities with the SM&NC
Spring Curriculum Subscription (PreK-2nd)
April 12-June 11
Receive a weekly curriculum via e-mail that transforms seasonal happenings in nature into great standards-based activities to do a home or at a local natural area. Great for homeschoolers or for families wanting help with all of the amazing natural wonders of spring! Registration opens 3/22 for SM&NC Members and 3/29 for general registration.
Facebook LIVE programs
Saturdays, January 9 – March 20 | 10 am
Our popular Facebook live programs are back for the winter! Join us for an up-close look at our animals and share in our favorite science and art topics too! Join us live on Facebook (@stamfordmuseumandnaturecenter) or catch the recordings on our page later! Programs run about 15 minutes in length.
Members & Non-Members: FREE
SM&NC at home learning packs
Bring some of our favorite educational activities to your house as you support the SM&NC! Each kit is safely packed by staff and will be delivered curbside to your mailbox or front porch. Local areas only and limited supply - order today!
- Owl Pellet Dissection Pack: A great at-home activity to explore the food chain! Contains two fully cleaned and sterilized owl pellets, a curriculum guide, tweezers and toothpicks, a bone chart, a sheet on Connecticut owls, "Up in the Air" trivia, suggestions for at-home extension activities, and paper plates on which to work. Recommended for ages 5 and up.
- Farm Critter Creation Pack: A great kit for your budding farmers! This kit contains create-your-own stuffed animal materials (plush animal “skin” & stuffing), “What Came from the Farm” home scavenger hunt, baby animal match cards, and some bonus vegetable or flower seeds to plant at home. Choose from Horse or Pig. Recommended for ages 5 and up.
- At Home Astronomy: Explore the skies from your backyard! Discover the phases of the moon, meet our planets, experiment with solar energy, see what amazing astronomical happenings will occur through 2021, create your own constellations, and more! Recommended for ages 6 and up.
- Stupendous Snakes: A must for any fan of these super scaly critters! Discover the snakes that live in Connecticut and about their general ecology. Contains a variety of materials including a snake coloring book, anatomy cards, info on shedding, colors, and prey, and a flexible wooden snake to color or paint! Recommended for ages 4 and up.
- NEW! Otterly Amazing Packs: If you are a fan of our North American River Otters, Bert & Sadie, this pack is for you! This pack includes a stuffed SM&NC hoodie otter, an otter behavior bingo game, and an otter stick puppet craft. This pack also contains a certificate for your family to come on a day to help give the otters their lunch! Date will be scheduled upon mutual agreement and is for the members of one household only - $40
Each kit is $20 (unless otherwise noted), including delivery within 10 mile radius of the SM&NC (please make note of any specific delivery instructions on the registration form). All proceeds benefit continued care of our farm and education animals and remote programming. To order, click the button below.
Remote animal visits for families
Have a birthday in your household or want to see our new babies up close and personal? We can offer 30 minute remote animal visits through Zoom to your household. Please contact our Director of Education email@example.com or (203) 977-6568 for scheduling and fees.
Zoom-based programming for schools
40 minute interactive programs featuring live animals, natural history programs, and more! Single programs or series available. Please contact our Director of Education firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 977-6568 for scheduling and fees.